Re: [ga] yet another idea to improve knowledge...

At 16:17 3/03/01 -0500, Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:

>I personally would put the attention to the Verisign/NSI contract first as
>the priority, with the new TLDs (unchartered) next. Other things can
>probably be delayed, from my perspective, but I'm interested in how others
>think about this?

I would agree with this. These are landscape (status-quo) maintaining
developments, instead of the promised landscape-altering ones and they are
closely connected.
There is also the question of the line that ICANN will now take with
regards to the "inclusive" root and the flow-on effects of  ICANN itself
becoming the registry for .org, already announcing registry policies.

I also read your idealized vision of the GA with feeling, Marilyn! <g>
But look inside most parliaments and you see the same childish posturing
and point-scoring.
The difference lies in the current powerlessness of the GA. Even the
chair-candidate it chooses must be "elected" by the NC.

--joop

The Polling Booth
http://www.democracy.org.nz/vote1/