Re: [ga] New TLD Agreements

"Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" wrote:

> Actually, I think you are mistaken about the assumption that legitimate
> businesses wouldnt' go to court to protect their trademarks.

I just have a problem with the fox watching the hen house.  World Intellectual
Property Organization is designed to encourage and protect the rights of
holders of intellectual property.  It is like being tried and convicted and
sentenced by the policeman who arrested you.

I do not in principal disagree with a UDRP.  But I could not in good conscience
advise a country operating a ccTLD to use the existing system because of its'
bias.
A country must place its' National security and Cultural Identity above
trademark rights.  This same principal should apply to gTLD second level domain
names.

I believe that if we look at the Intellectual Property Support Organizations we
can find a model.  The problem is that they are so well organized and effective
there is no effective check and balance to moderate their objectives.  It is
like watching a professional sports team play a high school team.  We need to
level the playing field, not move to a new stadium. I truly believe that a
strong and vital GA and At Large are good places to begin to achieve a proper
balance.

Sincerely,