Re[2]: [ga] New TLD Agreements

Hello Kent,

Wednesday, February 28, 2001, 9:57:39 PM, Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 06:36:04PM -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> Wednesday, February 28, 2001, 6:29:29 PM, Michael F. McNulty wrote:
>>
>> > The UDRP has saved legitimate businessess many, many
>> > millions of dollars in legal fees.  ICANN has justified itself
>> > by this mechanism alone.
>>
>> Yes, it saved them much in legal fees to win cases that they would
>> never have won had they gone to court.

> It has saved the *defendants* millions of dollars in legal fees.

Maybe a very very small handful who didn't challenge their UDRP cases
and lost by default because the burden and investment required by the
other company was so small that they went after a case they would
never have won in court, and never have gone to the expense of filing
in court.

Your statement above is absolutely false, and I challenge you to
back it up with one shred of evidence.

>> They've enabled businesses to reverse hijack and seize domain names
>> that they would have absolutely NO right to under the law.
>>
>> ICANN has done more damage to its credibility with the UDRP than with
>> any single other act.

> Nope.  Quite the reverse.  You are deceived.  People who busy themselves
> on these email lists are not a representative sample.

Read the damn press, Kent.  Even the press are now REGULARLY
commenting on the fact that the UDRP far exceeds not only its mandate,
but anything that the laws of any country permits.  This has even hit
CNN, Kent.  If you think that the views on this are a minority view,
you are grossly deluding yourself at best, and at worst being entirely
disingenuous purposely in order to defend this clearly overreaching
tainted policy because the IP interests sided with your views in
exchange for your support of theirs.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com