Re[2]: [ga] Re: [voters] Agenda suggestions for the next NCteleconferences

A "GA only" workgroup on this subject would be an exercise in
futility.  Would it really serve a productive purpose to setup what
would be, in essence, a "renegade" type workgroup that has no basis in
the charters for existing?  And to do so under the "auspices" of the
DNSO GA?

Without a Names Council or ICANN Board sanction, this would just
provide further grounds to those who want the GA dismissed as
irrelevant altogether.  I would suggest some real caution be taken
before trying to pursue this course.

Instead, why not just setup an independent group whose purpose is to
provide a basis and structure for such a constituency, gather broad
support within and for that group, hopefully with recognizable and
respected members of the community whose names and endorsements will
carry some weight, and present it in this fashion?

This avoids the possible negative effect of the Names Council and the
special interests who control it being able to spin the issue as a
"fringe" effort by a "renegade" GA.

Greg, is there any reason why this requires some sanction as a "GA"
effort?  I'm not necessarily opposing that, just pointing out that
trying to force it into that may have some negative consequences that
could effect the success of the effort or the achievement of the goal.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com