[ga] registries and registrars

At 10:03 20/09/00 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:

>You will recall that the original model, discussed in Barcelona and in
>Monterrey, was that of an "at-large" *constituency*.

I seem to recall that this was your idea, Kent. It did not find favour,
perhaps because the ccTLD's dominated those two first meetings.
<snip>
>Once again, I must remind people that while the IP interests get all the
>attention, it is fact the registries and registrars that are the most
>adamant special interest groups in the DNSO.  This is completely
>understandable -- they are the ones that have *direct* legal ties to
>ICANN.

On this point, and on this point only, I agree with Kent.  Because of their
direct legal ties with ICANN the registries and registrars have also the
most opportunity to act oppressively towards the registrants--by forcing
them to sign their rights away if they want to be registered or renewed at
all.
If IP interests act oppressively, they prefer to do this indirectly, by way
of  the registries and registrars.
Tomorrow, other interests and lobby groups can exploit the same avenue.

--Joop--
www.idno.org