Re: [ga] Individual domain name holders and the DNSO

Joop,

>What makes *DN holders* a constituency is the fact that they are at the

>receiving end of regulation by other interests. That's all.
>ICANN has recognized this only as far as non-commercial
*organizations*.
>A number of Individuals has seen the deficiency of this approach and
have
>self-organized into the IDNO.
>The IDNO and its structure is not *the* constituency, but it is the
>potential gateway *for* the constituency, and it is the only one until
>someone creates a better one. (Not an easy task as the last 2 years
have
>proved).

OK, let's start from here.
IDNO is a component of the constituency, but I am afraid (learning from
the past and trying to interpret the actions from the Board) that if it
will continue being the only one, we will not go very far.

The reason why I wanted to get into the picture small (family?)
businesses, end users, and other types of stakeholders (remember my
position in Yokohama?), is because I have the impression that we are
stalling. With an AtLarge Membership on the hundreds of thousands, an
application from few hundred individuals will not be enough.
But there are among us people that are in contact with large bodies that
 do the interests of end users (consumers), small business, ...
For instance:
- Jamie Love could get the interest of some consumer organization to the
 project
- ISOC has a large basis of individuals as members
- the AtLarge membership in itself, even if not organized (yet), has a
potential interest in participating in DNSO debates, and thus to push
for an Individual Constituency

IMHO, while I am looking forward to IDNO to grow, I keep my point that
we have to look also in other directions if we want to have good chances
 to succeed.

Regards
Roberto