[ga] Non for profit TLDs - CINICs

At 08:01 13/09/00, you wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> > It is theoretically possible, if the ccTLD is set up as a co-operative of
> > the registrants/name holders.
>You are right. Do you know if such a registry exists? If not, why do we
>not set one up and apply for a TLD with ICANN *now*? I'm serious. There
>would be so many advantages to a cooperative registry. For one it wouldn't
>make profit. The domains would be as inexpensive as possible. It could
>limit the number of domains one could hold. It could do its own UDRP :-)

Marc,
I incorporated two TLD non profit associations for common management
of the ".sys" and ".wiz" TLDs by the name of .SYS and .WIZ.. (We joke
at this common interest NICs as "CINIC") These two TLDs correspond
also to specific addressing semantics:

-  .sys is for registering formats.

    like http://*-schneiders*.sys or http://ibm-.sys allowing the Schneiders
    family to freely manage nameservers accepting from:
          http://marc-shneiders.sys to http://ted-schneiders-Jr.sys
    and IBM to freely set-up
         http://ibm-france.sys, http://ibm-uk.sys etc...

     This has been documented on the ICANN site before Yokohama (this
     was proposition #3). The user target spans site and machine systems;
     local portal chains like mine, product lines, multinational groups,
     families, NGO with many local sites on different servers, VPN, etc...

     The rules for Membership are simple:

     -  yearly Membership is $ 1000 (to be reviewed by GA
     -  participation to management cost in proportion to traffic
     -  UDRP during the 30 first days only and open to TM having
        registered in class 42 less than 30 days ago. If a TM owner is
        serious about protecting his TM in that TLD he has 30 days after
        registering its TM to register it. (The delay extends to 3 month and
        to every class 42 TM during the bootstrap period)
     -  commercial Members must have at least 100 DNs in other TLDs
        according to that format.
     -  in case of format conflict, the priority goes to the Member having
        first registered his 100th DN in other TLDs
     -  to jointly promote the ".sys" TLD (with a monthly award) and
        actions. The launching action was to donate $10.000 to the
        @large effort: for 150.000 pros around the world knowing us.

     The development required is a modification of our nameservers
     software to accept a default character semantic (still to be
     finalized). There is no change in the user nameserver software.

      The management is extremely limited. The office is ready. The
      line is ordered.

-  .wiz is a rule oriented system.

     Its purpose is to open a real service on a test basis first and
     then to be an operational test bed for all technical and legal
     issues involved.

     We are studying a system where the Members could set
     up and check the rules dynamically, there would therefore be
     no management.

     The purpose of the rules would only be to lead to an URL and
      the format of the entries would be url compatible, so there
      would be no change in the DNS.

      http://marc.schneiders.wiz or http://schneiders.marc.wiz
      or http://father.son.marc.scheneiders.wiz would lead to
      the same http://marc.venster.nl

      The system would be open to Members only and for a fee
      voted by the GA. The idea is to have it at the lowest cost or
      free (for some or for all or on choice) so we may study the
      largest panel of users and of TM/intellectual propriety cases.

I have asked the WIPO questions about the semantic of the URL.

BTW these two TLDs show that the DN concept is to be legally
defined. In both TLDs the Registry do not know about the DN
being really used. The owner is free to add and remove: this is
freedom of speech and intellectual property. If I chose an URL
which quotes a famous line, can the author of the line make
an UDRP? It is well accepted that a line is free for quote, if
you say who wrote it. If the line is famous everyone is
supposed to know who wrote it, if it is not how do you know
if the user known the writer ... billions of lines are produced
every years....

1. Unlimited number of by the book TLDs

    In using these two TLDs (different ways) we planned opening an
    unlimited number of "ULD" ie. TLD-to-be SLDs. Example:
    ".txu" is the Texas TLD as per the extension of the ISO 3 letter
    list proposed in 1969 by the Library of Congress. The ULD is
    ".txu.sys" used to register http://domain_name.txu.sys until
    a ".TXU CINIC" is created, accepting http://domain_name.txu

2. Worldwide ring of nameservers

     As a non profit association we consider that TLDs may
     help countries to develop and support local cultures. We
     want to support regional ULDs, but we want also to develop
     local top level operations in developing countries to support
     that TLDs. The idea was to start with the French overseas
     territories with a nameserver physically installed in each
     one for a "non stop 24/365 world ring service" providing on
     the spot training to young local engineers.

>If 5000 people would each "bet" $10, and pledge another $25 when the
>application is approved, it could be done.

I had not so many people!

But I had made the amount until yesterday. I suppose now that
I will go without asking anything more to the ICANN (thx!!!), or
that some big money will pick my ideas (my/our [*] only protection
was to make it public today in here and for you to discuss them,
so it becomes full common knowledge).

Comments and suggestions welcome.
Jefsey

[*] who ever want to join our CINICs is welcome.

PS. Anyone knows if some TLD proposition already reach
the ICANN?