Re: [ga] Harald's comment discussed on the EU list

Hi William --

I take exception to your claim that IDNO, as an organization, cannot be a
constituency.

The constituency model envisions that constituencies will organize
themselves -- and IDNO is in fact
an organization of people seeking recognition as a constituency.

True it has been riven by dissent --- but the measure of any constituency
is precisely its ability to permit conflicting viewpoints.  Of all
constituencies, the individuals' should be expected to deliver healthy, if
not raucus, internal disagreement.  On this front, IDNO has proven highly
successful:  it has resisted capture by pockets of members, has continued
to draw new members, and continues to urge disgruntled members to come back
and resume the fight.   By this measure, it is far more successful than
some of the recognized constuencies.

Personally I feel that the constituency model has been proven a failure.
Most constituencies are little more than committees of a great trade
association.   If DNSO wants to give ICANN a healthy dose of democracy, it
should stop dithering and act on the repeated requests of the General
Assembly to resolve the matter.

I realize that you've had a bitter personal battle with some members of
IDNO, but shutting down an individuals'
constituency really is like throwing out the proverbial baby.

Regards