RE: [ga] new TLDs

If there are only a few .com clones, then one might expect a lot of
companies just registering more of the same in the new TLDs.  If the
root is really expanded, as it should be, then one would expect
something different, particularly with TLD string that either mean
something by their name (i.e. .airline, .software, .soccer, .books,
etc), or are restricted (.union, .banc, etc).

   Jamie

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Alf Hansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If this is the result of new gTLDs, we have lost.
>
> A TLD should really mean something. The policy for each TLD should be clear
> and well published, and give the registrant a clear idea about which TLD he
> should registrer under.
>
> This scheme is for the best of the consumer, and also for the provider.
>
> Best regards,
> Alf H

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176