Re: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:58:09PM -0700, Kristy wrote:
> Kent,
>
> I suppose I should start looking in the mail for the note from the US Govn't
> that arrives every year demanding I not farm my farmland.  Oh never mind, I
> just got my check from them.  Is the next government step to remove my rights
> to ownership of said land since it is not inuse and would make a damn good
> electrical power plant area?

Sure -- that's known as "eminent domain".  The government can indeed
take away your land, to, for example, build a power plant, whether it is
in use or not.  This happens all the time.  They are required to
compensate you for it, but that is an implementation detail -- the
bottom line is that your "ownership" of real property is not at all
absolute.

You can test this easily -- just stop paying your property taxes.

"Ownership" and "property rights" are *not* simple things.
Buying real property, for example a house, is a very complicated affair
legally, and it is vastly different from registering a domain name.

> I suggest that this is what you meant by this message below.  I have
> written to
> you to give you an opportunity to be more clear, agree with my assesment of
> your writing or disagree.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

The arguments that use analogies between "ownership" of real property
and registration of domain names are simple minded idiotic garbage, and
anyone who had even a shred of pride in their intellectual abilities
should avoid them like they were thrice used kitty litter.

> Thank you.

Thanks once again for the opportunity to clarify. :-)

Kent