Re: Re[3]: [ga] Elections

At 13:57 14/08/00 +0200, you wrote:

>>Should this GA not allow its on-line members to vote on the resolution
>that
>>the members present in Yokohama voted so overwhelmingly for? Just to
>remind
>>the NC at this critical moment?
>
>For what purpose?
>The motion has been voted and obtained consensus in Yokohama, was
>presented to the NC on the same day, who received it and took immediate
>action.

I agree that action is already on the way in some form. But,
A vote from the virtual GA is a useful exercise. We haven't voted all that
often and it sets the right precedent that allows the WHOLE GA to vote on
issues that otherwise could be rammed through a physical GA.
It also prevents people from making the point that the whole GA didn't get
the chance to vote on the issue.
If Dave Crocker and Kent Crispin hadn't held up their hands in person, they
could surely be expected to raise that point.

>>Now back in my Asia-Pacific region where I am resident, but where I
>cannot
>>gather support for a nomination under the current rules.
>

>Why? I don't understand this.

I raised the point once more in Yokohama. Esther admitted that it was a flaw
in the rules. I have a European citizenship, while I am resident in the Asia
Pacific region.
The current rules make the nomination of expatriates, if not put on the
ballot by the nominating committee, a practical impossibility. For an
Internet body, such a rule is especially ludicrous.

--Joop
www.idno.org