RE: [ga] FW: UPDATE: ICANN-Yokohama Remote Participation Details

At 09:23 PM 7/10/00 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>Simon,
>
>We have an agenda item covering the wide asubject of the introduction of
>  new TLDs.
>
>If you allow me to drop my GA-Chair hat, and give you my personal
>opinions:
>- ICANN will take into account the existence of an "old" proposal to
>IANA as one of the criteria of choice, and not the most important
>(otherwise it would have been mentioned in the document to be commented
>on);

That was why I asked the question, because I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

http://www.icann.org/yokohama/EOI5.htm

>Time has changed, and to act as if we were still in the past with the
>IANA/Postel situation, pre-White Paper, pre-international debate, pre-
>creation of ICANN, will have as only effect to limit the time to debate
>other aspects of the issue where we may have a chance to influence
>ICANN. In other words, a loss of time and opportunities.

I understand. I don't really want to be rehashing this either. But denying
the past is to repeat the same mistakes over again.

>But, wearing again my GA-Chair hat, you are welcome to discuss the old
>and the new applications under the broad agenda item "new GTLDs".

Thanks!

FYI, it's amazing how close "GA-Chair" and "gotcha" sound if you don't
pronounce the G & A separately. Pun intended. ;)

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs

--
It's a feature not a bug...