Re: [ga] Re: Another senseless rejection of the pioneering work of JonPostel

Simon Higgs wrote:

> >in 1994 through 1996 the IANA guidance was experemental, and the IAHC came
> >out of all that.
>
> The IAHC rejected the prior IANA work and got sued (IOD). Then the DoC,
> recognizing the inequity the IAHC had created in the process, stepped in
> and invalidated the IAHC and tore up the gTLD-MoU. Remember? NSI and IANA
> got sued again (PGPMedia) and IANA gave it's discretional authority back to
> the DoC to avoid litigation. The result (more than I have time to write
> here) was the DoC creating ICANN out of the ashes of IANA, and the root
> zone landing in the hands of the DoC.

I'm coming late to all this. I do know what IANA and NSI are, and have
some clue how DNS works, but I've never heard of IAHC or the lawsuits.
Is there a web site somewhere that will bring me up to date, preferably
without having to read several years of archived posts.

> The experimental process IANA started still exists, and has not been
> invalidated by law, due process, or business model (in fact it works
> exactly as John Gilmore describes "to route around censorship"). It has
> worked alongside the DoC both formally (in response to the Green and White
> papers) and informally.

Anyone got a URL for those?