Re: [ga] Press Release Warns Internet Users about ICANN

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 02:13:36PM -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:
> Hello Rick,
>
> This message just shows me how irresponsible you are being in your
> criticisms.
>
> First of all, the ORSC does not run TLDs.  They run a root zone, which
> is available via AXFR.  I know this for a fact.  I did an axfr before
> posting this message just to make sure that nothing had changed in the
> months since I last did one.

Congratulations on successfully deflecting the question.

Rick said "ORSC folks", and that he was requesting the *TLD* zones.  He
wasn't asking about the ORSC root zone.  His first question was to John
Palmer, who has been making claims about the growth of his zones.

> As for the TLDs themselves, you have to make arrangements with the TLD
> operators themselves.  That has nothing to do with the ORSC.

In that ORSC claims to be a consortium of the various TLD operators, it
most certainly does have something to do with ORSC.  It has to do with
the consistency, reliability, and availability of the zone information
that ORSC as a whole provides.

> It seems to me you have not expended any effort at all before posting
> incorrect and irresponsible criticism of the ORSC.  As I said before,
> I do not agree with the ORSC's positions, but in this case, you owe
> them a clear apology.

When ORSC want's to look big and important, it bills itself as a
"consortium"; when it wants to duck any responsibility, it says "who,
me??? I don't know anything about those guys, I'm just a poor little
root zone"...  But I suppose you are right -- Rick made the mistake of
looking at the word "consortium" and thinking that it meant something.
He should apologize for that mistake.