RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

> From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand: Saturday, June 24, 2000 3:57 AM
>
> At 10:52 23.06.2000 -0700, Roeland Meyer \(E-mail\) wrote:

> >3) Voting events need to be strictly periodic, no ad hoc
voting
> >events. (min. 90-day periods)
>
> Don't agree. This depends on the nature of the issue. 90 days
is
> a LONG time for some issues (such as voting on the GA's opinion
on
> the Sunrise+20 proposal, for instance).
> For elections, I would tend to sympathize.

I remind you of the distinction between polling and voting.
Opinion polls should be continuous.

| My answer to this is
| polling. Post the candidate issues, FCFS, and let participants
| indicate a priority preference. The top X number of issues make
| it on the next ballot round. Once disposed of by formal vote,
it
| is moved to the bottom of the issues list and marked as
| "disposed". No issues should magically disappear from the
issues
| list. Periodically, all disposed issues should be moved to an
| archive. All data should be kept in perpetuity.

Where I wasn't clear and explicit was that I expected that
members could, at any time, submit issues to the list, answer an
existing issue, or change a previous answer to an issue. These
are not votes, per se. Wordy opinions should be posted to the
discussion list, with an issue identifier in the subject-line.
Issues should be stated such that there are only three possible
answers (agree/disagree/not an issue). At the end of the cycle,
the top-most issues make it to the voting ballot, for formal
disposition.

This satisfies a number if implicit ad explicit requirements wrt;
satisfaction of ad hoc opinion polling requirements, reduction of
churn in the formal voting cycle, impartial vetting of issues,
objective and transparent process for issue promotion, builtin
pacing process, etc.

However, the immediate benefit is that, for those members that
use this system, there is no doubt as to their position. Use of
this system, as if this were true, would encourage folks to
register opinions and keep them updated frequently. If the
submittor's name was published with the issue, then frivolous
issue submission would also be reduced.