RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

At 10:52 23.06.2000 -0700, Roeland Meyer \(E-mail\) wrote:
>1) The actual voting system needs to be simple, with both email
>and web-based interfaces.

Simplicity I agree with.

>2) The number of issues, per voting event, needs to be few and
>controlled.

Agreed. That's why I prefer a human in the loop here.
The risk of capture is real, however; any human (or group of humans)
who gets veto powers on ballots needs a mechanism for his removal.

>3) Voting events need to be strictly periodic, no ad hoc voting
>events. (min. 90-day periods)

Don't agree. This depends on the nature of the issue. 90 days is
a LONG time for some issues (such as voting on the GA's opinion on
the Sunrise+20 proposal, for instance).
For elections, I would tend to sympathize.

>4) All voters need to be absolutely authenticated, within the
>system.

"Absolutely" is a word I dislike. Fair and reasonably secure
mechanisms for authentication, I agree fully with.

>5) Churn needs to be minimized.

As in "don't vote on an issue we just finished voting on"? Yes.

>6) Each registered voter gets exactly one vote.

Agreed.

                  Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no