Re[2]: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

Hello Roberto,

Wednesday, June 21, 2000, 9:26:01 AM, you wrote:
> Agree.
> But what about the first case under discussion, which is to give
> ourselves rules on how to vote.
> If we have three proposals, and they get 49/26/25, what should we do?
> Shall we say that there's no consensus, and therefore we will never have
>  a voting procedure?
> Maybe in this case a good model will be to vote separately "Y/N" on each
>  of the three, and pick the one that has more "Yes" (provided that the
> "Yes" are above 50%).

> Fair enough?

No, this method is very flawed.  People can vote yes for something
that they think is...a bare minimum acceptable, and it would win if
the most people thought that, even if the option that the most people
would PREFER has over 50% yes as well.  You end up with the less evil
rather than the most good.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com