From: Roberto Gaetano [mailto:roberto.gaetano@voila.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 12:26 PM
To: cgomes@netsol.com
Cc: Harald@Alvestrand.no; ga@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

Just one remark:

>>3. Because the DNSO is supposed to be a consensus-building
organization, I
>>would consider modifying the third rule as follows: "In the case of a
>choice
>>between multiple alternatives, the alternative with the most votes
over 50%
>>of those cast wins.  If no choice receives more than 50%, there is no
>>winner."
>
>I don't have a strong opinion here. In the case of a 3-way vote with a

>49/25/24% outcome, it seems like extra bureaucracy, but in the case of
>34/33/33% outcome, it may be the Right Thing to do.
>Others?
>
>49% is not consensus by most standards.

Agree.
But what about the first case under discussion, which is to give
ourselves rules on how to vote.
If we have three proposals, and they get 49/26/25, what should we do?
Shall we say that there's no consensus, and therefore we will never have
 a voting procedure?
Maybe in this case a good model will be to vote separately "Y/N" on each
 of the three, and pick the one that has more "Yes" (provided that the
"Yes" are above 50%).

Fair enough?

Roberto