Re: [ga] Older Registrations

At 08:57 PM 4/3/00 -0400, Craig Simon wrote:
>Note the line, "NSF/FNC should contact ISOC concerning US government
>representation on the Internet Society's International Ad Hoc Advisory
>Committee."
>To be fair to Chris Ambler and Simon Higgs, it's not altogther clear
>whether, in
>the IAHC meetings, Strawn represented himself as holding the formal office
>of a
>US agent, or whether he explicitly disavowed that role. Chris says he did,
>but I

Within the IAHC meetings, those of us who came from the Internet technical
community pretty forcefully declared no representation other than as
members of the Internet technical community.

Those with formal positions in WIPO, INTA, and ITU were quite explicitly
representing their organizations, although only the INTA participants put
that forward formally.  On the other hand, the WIPO and ITU representatives
periodically checked with their management about one or another issue being
discussed.  That constitutes pretty explicit formal representation, in my view.

As is typical in committees, some participants are more active than
others.  George was not in the top level of being active.  However, he
attended some meetings and made some very constructive suggestions.  He did
not speak explicitly and formally of representing NSF or FNC.

>I'd like to know what Mr. Strawn says now with regard to these issues.
>What did

As nearly as I can tell, the NSF just wishes this would all go away.  They
have been pretty rigorously silent on the matter, for several years now.

d/

ps.  I believe that there was a note on this thread claiming that I was the
'leader' of the IAHC.  Don Heath was the chair.  I was editor of the IAHC's
report.  At various times, almost every member of the IAHC took a turn at
running a portion of the committee's work.

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA