Re: [ga] Older Registrations

Folks,

Here's a useful link that touches on the sequence of events leading to George
Strawn's invitation to serve on the IAHC.

http://www.fnc.gov/FNCAC_10_96_minutes.html

Note the line, "NSF/FNC should contact ISOC concerning US government
representation on the Internet Society's International Ad Hoc Advisory
Committee."

Clearly they did, and Don Heath responded by appointing Stawn. The NSF/FNC's
motivation (and the activity) may have been primarily monitory, but the words in
the document say representation. Point to Dave Crocker.

To be fair to Chris Ambler and Simon Higgs, it's not altogther clear whether, in
the IAHC meetings, Strawn represented himself as holding the formal office of a
US agent, or whether he explicitly disavowed that role. Chris says he did, but I
can't find any evidence of that. I'm open to pointers. ("Check the archives"
doesn't cut it.)

Also, Joe Kelsey's find that the FNC  "continues to encourage open discussion on
domain name registration" is certainly no disclaimer, I agree, but it's not a
ringing endorsement of the IAHC either.

I'd like to know what Mr. Strawn says now with regard to these issues. What did
he report back to the FNC? Perhaps this time around he will respond to my
request for an interview. I last tried for one in early June 1998. Perhaps the
email address I'm using for him (gstrawn@nsf.gov) is no good. If anyone has a
suggestion (or his phone#) please let me know.

Craig Simon