Re: [ga] About GA membership again......

Harald and all assembly members,

Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> At 02:56 30.03.00 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> >Joop identifies a point that should be discussed, IMHO.
> >What will be the relationship btw. GA and @large?
> >What will be the composition of the @large, and is there an overlap with
> >  the GA? What part of the @large-Members will be interested in
> >participating in the DNSO/GA?
>
> In my (biased) opinion, the At Large is beyond our control, and it is
> impossible for us to predict what the At Large is going to be.

  Presently this seems to definitely be the case unfortunately.  The members
of the AT-Large will have to themselves determine what it will be or
become.  The sooner the better most likely.  Should the ICANN board
interfere in this, it would not booed well for ICANN as a whole if pretty
short order.

> I think most GA members will be At Large members (they want to be heard
> there too), but that the opposite is unlikely, if only because the GA does
> not have the wish or the means to have membership drives.

  I don't know that you or anyone can say what the GA wishes now or
in any given point in time.  As to the means, it is true that at this juncture

that the GA doesn't not have the means to have membership drives, but could
with a little thinking and hard driving work.

> An At-Large member is expected to vote for representatives who choose
> candidates to the ICANN board once a year or so.

  Well this only PART of what the At-Large is supposed to be expected to
do, but certainly not all.

> A GA member is (I think)
> expected to take a position on various issues brought to a GA vote -
> probably on the order of magnitude of once a month or so.

  Indeed at least once a month maybe more frequent than that...

> My guess.
>
>                         Harald
>
> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894