Re: [ga] [Admin] Arguments about history falsification

Harald and all assembly members,

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> I have had complaints from more than one participant that statements have
> been made on the list that, when parsed semantically, amount to claiming
> that other participants are lying about past history.

  Well indeed this has occurred several times on this list from a number of
members, Harald, not the least of which are you and Roberto.  But if you
are referring to some specific history could you please be a bit more
explicit as to what subject area and who is making these claims about
whomever?  I think that would be very helpful to everyone on this list.
Don't you?

> This includes sentences like "[description] which is far from the
> actual factual accounting of what happened", "attempt to engage in revisionist
> history making", "falls into the camp of nicely written propaganda" and others.

  Well what are the actual archived e-mails to this list are you referring to here
Harald?  And can you prove beyond a shadow of s doubt that your or these
complainants are correct?  If not, I think your point is moot in this regard.

> This is not in the spirit of polite discussion, and does not contribute in
> a good way to getting business done on this list.

  This would depend on what is accurate and what is not.  Hence such a broad
statement is not factual or in any reasonable way accurate either.

> I suggest that all participants in this discussion do the following:
>
> 1) Make sure your version of historic events is written down on a Web page
>     somewhere.

  A web page is not an official document necessarily nor is it the only place
where such documentation is available, Harald.  Although your suggestion is
a good one it is not the only source of such information on the Internet, as
you of all people should know clearly.

> 2) Whenever someone argues a point of history you don't agree with, limit
>     your rebuttal to "I do not believe this is correct. See my Web page
>     at <xxxx>".

  Well that may or may not be a good method of rebuttal Harald.

> 3) DO NOT continue the argument on the GA list.

  Debate and argument, depending of the type of argument are not one in the
same.  So far I have not seen a disagreeable argument regarding historical
information on this list lately.

> If you wish to discuss the accuracy of your respective webpages further,
> I am sure there are plenty of other forums you can use for that.

  Certainly there are, and they are being conducted on some of those list
presently.  As they are pertinent to the DNSO this list is also a good
place where these discussions should be discussed.  Are you suggesting
some sort of selective censorship on content?

> Regards,
>
>                 Harald T. Alvestrand
>                  List monitor
>
> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894