RE: [ga] About GA membership again......

At 10:02 AM 3/25/00 +0100, you wrote:

>I believe we have three constituencies with ex definitio restrictly
>defined membership (and certainly restricted mailing lists):
>    - ccTLDs are managers of current ccTLD registries (whereas the ccTLDs
>      Registry Managers list is restricted to 243 members as provided
>      by the publicly open IANA whois database, which are the only ones
>      allowed to vote, the ccTLDs mailing list is much larger -- roughly
>      double size -- and includes more than one contact per
>      country/territory, as well as regional secretariat's staff)
>    - gTLDs are managers of current gTLD registries (NSI)

I'm confused by the non-NSI registries not being represented in Elizabeth's
list:

http://www.dnso.org/constituency/gtld/gtld.html

In the the above URL, there are Open generic TLDs (.COM, .NET, .ORG) and
Restricted generic TLDs (.GOV, .MIL, .EDU, .INT) - all of which are
described as gTLDs. There is a need for an rTLD constituency for the
restricted TLDs since they cannot be accurately described as generic or
gTLDs. Generic describes a TLD which can be shared by multiple registrars,
whereas Restricted describes a requirement for close-control by a single
registry.

>    - Registrars are, AFAIK, limited to accredited by ICANN Registrars
>      for gTLDs
>The remaining four (ISPCP, IP, NCDNH and Business) have charters
>and published rules.

I'd also like to propose that the pre-IAHC work with IANA be recognized,
and that an iTLD constituency be created. Constituents can from known
contributors to the Jon Postel new TLD/registry drafts, or other new
TLD/registry Internet Drafts published during 1996, or are named on the
iTLD applicant list that Jon Postel published on behalf of IANA to
iahc-discuss. The purpose of the iTLD Constituency is to create new
registries that will compete at the registry-level with NSI (currently no
competition exists for gTLDs or rTLDs at the registry-level).

>NB. Two (.edu, .int) of four "forgotten" TLDs are missing withing
>     the DNSO GA, and it would be better to have them inside
>     (the remining two are .gov and .mil).

rTLDs ;-)

Best Regards,

Simon