RE: [ga] Older registrations

Simon Higgs wrote:

>I was there. You weren't. You can say whatever you want. I'll stand by
the
>historical facts:
>
>In 1995/1996, IANA solicited new iTLD requests under the guidelines
laid
>out in RFC1591. IANA received many new iTLD applications and published
the
>results on the IAHC-discuss mailing list (archived at www.gtld-mou.org
for
>some inexplicable reason). At the same time, IANA started the process
>establish unquestionable authority to formally introduce new TLDs
>(beginning with the "Postel drafts" and now under ICANN). The iTLD
>applications received by IANA were printed out and placed in a file at
IANA
>(I've seen the file - it exists) pending the results of that process.
>
>And here we are.

I was not there, but I would like to comment anyhow on your passages
above.

What strikes me is that, at the origin, we had a "simple" problem of
enhancing the Domain Name space with the introduction of new gTLDs (or
iTLDs, if you prefere).
We went through different efforts, committees of any sort, papers of
different colours, even the attempt to define a new model for Internet
Governance, but, as you well put it "and here we are", years later, with
 a lot of discussions, and maybe even results, but with the starting
question about new gTLDs still unanswered.

Why?

Regards
Roberto