RE: About .eu - Was: Re: [ga] Meeting on the creation of .EU TLD

At 07:45 PM 3/19/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

> > IANA had the authority to introduce new TLDs into the root, as
> evidenced by
> > the introduction of ccTLDs during the same time period. This was part of
> > their NSF contract.
>
>NSF was explicit on this point.  IANA had authority to introduce the ISO-3166
>ccTLDs, but that authority did not extend to gTLDs, and the NSF made this
>clear
>to NSI, Simon.

This is hindsight speaking. None of this was clear when IANA solicited or
received the applications. This only explains why the applications were not
processed. It *DOES NOT* invalidate the application submission process, nor
does it invalidate the applications.

If you can show me documentation where these applications have been legally
invalidated, I'd like to see it. And I mean invalidated by something from
at least a US Federal Court, Dept. Of Commerce, NSF contract, Federal
Register, etc.