Privacy Concerns for DNSO/ICANN Membership Was:Re: [ga] Proposal: WWW / slashdot

Harald and all Assembly members,

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 12:16 28.02.00 +0100, Per Koelle wrote:

> > could
> > >
> > > another idea I had - what if we considered an activated At Large
> > membership
> > > necessary and sufficient for voting rights in the GA?
> >
> >This is silly. There ARE 2 kinds of membership:
> >One for the At Large, and one for the DNSO GA !!!
> >If we dont have this separation the at-large will be able to vote
> >NINE members in the Board and CONTROLE the DNSO NC and therefore also
> >be able have their voice heard this way.
>
> I wasn't thinking of merging them, but to say that the verification
> functions of the At Large (seeing that they're not onerous) were a
> prerequisite for being a GA member.

  Well suppose some folks wish to join the DNSO but not the At large
ICANN membership.  Making that a prerequisite disenfranchises quite
a number of people or organizations unfairly.  In addition the ICANN
At Large has not "Official" guaranteed Privacy policy per se, which also
makes the ICANN At Large a bit of a concern for many.  In fact I see
no privacy certification on the ICANN membership site.  I only see
a very brief "FAQ" listing concerning Privacy.  That just isn't good enough...

> Any open organization that does voting can be controlled by any determined
> large group of people; if both the GA and the At-Large membership are open,
> and they're different, it's because of what people choose to join.

  Exactly.  So in this statement you have effectively contravened your
previous thought/statement above Harald...

>                    Harald
>
> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894