RE: [ga] Proposal: WWW / slashdot

At 05:44 28.02.00 +0000, Jean-Michel Becar wrote:
>Harald, Michael,
>
>But the way the At Large members is registered via this Web Interface could
>be an example for the GA membership.
>But the way the proof of identity is done (by sending a postal mail to the
>pysical address with a PIN code to be used for accessing to the web site)
>would cost too much for the GA.
>So why not to set up a web site where people can registrer themselves and
>for the proof of identity and interest in the GA DNSO, they should provide a
>domain name that can be verified with a whois request if the domain name
>holder is the same as the member.

and if they don't hold any domain names?
For those that do, it's possible - but we'll have to do something for the
rest. (And, of course, domain names can cost down to USD 10 these days)

another idea I had - what if we considered an activated At Large membership
necessary and sufficient for voting rights in the GA?
This would have a couple of advantages:

- ICANN has to do the verification work anyway, so it's only done once
- More active use of the ICANN membership code gives more chance that
weaknesses in the system will be found and corrected
- It's a drive (a small one) for At Large membership

Of course, this leaves us without the power to impose or enforce our own
membership rules, requires people to be willing to sign up for At Large
membership, and requires that the people running the At Large are willing
to share at least some information.

But it's an idea.

                       Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no