Re: [ga] Is ICANN replacing the ga with its new site?

Alf and all Assembly members,

Alf Hansen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It is certainly correct that the At-large membership and the GA of the DNSO
> are two separate things.

  I disagree here unless there is a vote to change the already announced
policy of the DNSO with respect to the announcements from the DNSO
Announce list.  If such a policy change is to be effected, it must be
done by a VOTE or the existing DNSO GA (Members currently)
in order for this policy change to be legitimate.

> The way ICANN are managing At-large memberships, is in my opinion an
> excellent example of how we also could manage DNSO memberships: There must
> be some kind of rules for DNSO membership, and when applying for membership,
> some information has to be registered. If the applicant is accepted as
> member of DNSO, she will have some rights (to be in DNSO GA, to vote, etc.).
> Note that the membership managemenet can be handled without introducing a
> membership fee.

  Until or unless the already extant fraudulent practices of the DNSO GA
are corrected from the existing DNSO GA (Current membership) taking
such a policy would be illegitimate and fraudulent.

> However, these arrangements need money to be carried out. The At-large has
> stated how they will get money for this. The DNSO has to do the same. We can
> rely on external contributions (as the At-large), or we can have a
> membership fee. Or both.

  Agreed the DNSO needs to have a funding model or method that can
substantiate the body.  Membership fees and donations is a good start.

> We got to get our membership database in shape. Even if the membership is
> open to anyone. A distribution list is not a membership database. The ga
> distribution list should be produced from the membership database.

  In part I agree here, but the GA distribution database IS the basis for
the membership database, not the other way around as you indicate here
Alf.

> Best regards,
> Alf H
> .NO