Re: [ga] Re: [ga-full] Use of "loon"

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> Tyranny of the majority.   How to silence dissent.

 With all respect, I don't believe that will happen.  Here is my thought
 process (and yes, I am amenable to having my thought process changed ;-)

 Currently, the SAA receives a complaint, and decides 'yes' or 'no'.  If
 we allow the list to vote 'yes' or 'no', then the spectre of 'silencing
 dissent' is raised.  However, the SAA knows that 'dissent' is not grounds
 for sanction, and would never pass along such complaints to the list for
 vote.  A person who dissents, and does so in an insulting and disruptive
 manner, does not have the right to remain on the list solely because they
 are a 'dissenter'.  If a person dissents, and does so within the rules,
 then there is no grounds to have them removed that would ever make it to
 the list for a vote.

> The point of protecting dissenting voices is exactly that they are
> unpopular.  Popular voices don't require protection.

 I agree.  I'm still uncomfortable with the fact that one person decides
 who gets to play and who goes home (although I have full confidence in
 Harald's decisions.)