Re: [ga] [Admin] Removal of monitoring for Joe Baptista

Kent and all assembly members remaining,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 10:54:34AM -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> >> Consider the denial-of-service attack that has been going on with a number
> >> of major ISPs this past week, or so.  Would you like to require that they
> >> go through a cumbersome legal process before being allowed to stop the
> >> actions that are preventing them from being able to do business?
> >
> > The only time where such a process need be suspended is in a
> > denial-of-service situation.
>
> That is far too simplistic.
>
> A single threatening or intimidating message can completely chill
> discussion.  Bomb threats are not protected speech anywhere.

  This too is far to simplistic as well.  I personally have not seen anyone
on this list make any implied or direct threats of DOS attacks, much less
Bomb threats.  So, I must find you argument in your statement above
invalid as to the subject matter here to pertaining.

> Baptista is threatening to go to people's employers and raise trouble if
> they don't do what he wants; and has presented evidence that he has done
> so in the recent past.

  He is not threatening anything.  He is inquiring as I understand it.  I
personally
welcome such inquiries.  We do all we can to comply.  If there is some implicit
or explicit complaint, we try to address it to exhaustion where and when
possible.
This is just good professional oversight, and something sorely missing in ICANN
at the present time.

>  In your case that may not be a credible threat,
> but in other people's case it most certainly is.  This is without
> question sufficient grounds to remove Baptista from the list, regardless
> of whether such threats are called "denial-of-service".

  I disagree, see above.  We know you have a dislike for Joe, Kent as do
Roberto and Harald.  That much is fairly clear.  Hence your reasoning here,
as I pointed out clearly above lacks creditability or adequate evidence to
support you preference of action.

James Touton
Legal and Policy Advisory Council,
INEGRoup (Stakeholder)