[ga] RE: [BC] Discussion paper on domain names

Philip and colleagues,

While your point about the need for a BC view has merit, I suggest that BC
has already committed the outline of its position through the comments that
I posted on your behalf on January 10, following the BC constituency
conference call on the Working Group C papers. It will be beneficial if we
can consolidate those statements in something which represents policy
positions in the broader context and that can be associated with the BC, but
I suggest that we should be careful not to lose some of the vital elements
at this stage.

I endorse the NC proposal to try and establish a common basis on which to
move forward with the debate on the creation of new gTLDs. I would suggest
the addition of a number of criteria:

1) That the BC believes that the fundamental prerequiste in creating new
TLDs must be the stability of the Internet from the point of view of the
user as well as operationally. This has a number of implications:

2) That the TLD structure should embody a framework which precludes
replication of domain types, interest groups or business areas, to avoid
confusing Internet customers. (this is similar to your point 4 but
identifies the need for some management of the TLD functionalities, which
needs reconciliation with your point 9)

3) That there should be no additional domains created on a trial basis until
the effectiveness of the UDRP has been established and protection shown
adequate for protecting the valid interests of smaller entities, as well as
major enterprises.

4) That only a few additional TLDs should be added on an experimental basis
and their impacts monitored, prior to extending the numbers further.

On reflection I would also suggest that some additional dimensions should be
considered:

5) That Domain registrants can register only in appropriate domains (ie
XXX-rated websites should not be able to register under domains supplying
childrens' books, entertainment and similar resources). While I believe that
the policy is covered in your point 1, I propose that this principle should
be strengthened. This is becoming a more significant issue for us as the
introduction of digital tv and its potential for distribution on the Net
raises the public awareness of this issue.

6) That there should not be competition in the registry area as this will
introduce additional layers of unnecessary bureaucracy and operational
complexity for which the Internet user will have to bear the costs.

Best regards

John C Lewis
Manager - International Organisations Europe
BT delegate ETNO Executive Board
BT co-ordinator ICANN representation
Tel: +44 (0) 1442 295258 Mob: +44 (0) 802 218271