Re: [ga] Message from the Chair - List Rules - Another victim of poor list rules!

Ellen and all,

  I share you sentiments in many ways here Ellen as we have already seen
at least one other express similar views and concerns.  But leaving the
process entirely in not a manner in which reality, fairness, openness, and
reasonableness can be restored.  Please try to continue, you presence
and insight is sorely needed in the DNSO.  Do not abandon the "Field
of Battle" to the enemy of disgust, distortion and draconian dribble
as Harald, Roberto, Kent, William Walsh, and a few others would
prefer.

Ellen Rony wrote:

> >On Fri, Feb 04, 2000, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> >>
> >> As you well know, the issue is not posting rights, it what feed people
> >> get as a matter of default.  Arranging posting addresses is a trivial
> >> computing matter.
>
> >On Fri, Feb 04, 2000, Kent Crispin wrote:
> >>

> >Sorry -- I misunderstood your point.  I understand now -- you want it to
> >be the case that people who aspire to be disruptive assholes don't have
> >to do anything, but that those who prefer politeness and decorum must do
> >something special.  Is that correct?
>
> What a gross distortion of the point.
>
> I prefer *not* to be treated like a child who cannot separate wheat from
> the chaff.
>
> I prefer *not* to have someone else's opinion of what constitutes offending
> content imposed upon me for the purposes of a GA list.
>
> I prefer *not* to have a general and open list run through an unseen filter
> in the means of a sergeant-at-arms.
>
> I prefer *not* to accept the window dressing of GA openness through a
> proposal that establishes a read-only list for everything over the transom
> but allows interaction only on a selected portion that has survived the
> process of screening.
>
> Accordingly, my next message will be to unsubscribe until such time as
> reason is restored to the DNSO GA and this list is open without filters as
> to content.
>
> While i do, indeed, filter out the messages of those who have brought this
> issue to the fore and do not welcome their time-wasting behavior, I believe
> that right   should rest with each of us as individuals.  When some fair
> voting process is in place to determine whether this list should be
> structured as has been decreed, it will be interesting to examine whether
> the interim participation proved to be substantively more productive so as
> to justify such draconion measures.

> Ellen Rony                    ____             The Domain Name Handbook
> Co-author                 ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
> +1  415.435.5010          (oo) -^--               erony@marin.k12.ca.us
>                               W   W
>            DOT COM is the PigLatin.com of the InformationAge.com.
>   1999 Cyberserk Awards: http://www.domainhandbook.com/awards99.html

Regards,   .

--
Jeffrey A. Williams