Re: [ga] Message from the Chair

I was going to give this issue a rest, but Joe Kelsey wrote:

>Since you seem so enamored of chaotic discussion groups,

That is an assertion that is completely off base. [I suppose if we had an
SAA, I could ask him/her to remove you for making such an insulting
comment.]

I am just unenamored of turning the GA mailing list into a moderated list
based on what some sergeant at arms deems is on topic or appropriate.  I
have been on mailing lists for three years and learned how to tune out
those whose contributions are meaningless drivel.I just don't want others
to make that decision for me.

>please point
>out a single example of what you propose here that actually accomplishes
>real work.

Please point out what "real work" the GA is chartered to produce.  As far
as I can tell, this list will catch those who do not participate in a
constituency or a working group, and we have been told those places are
where the real work occurs.

>I can think of no example of a newsgroup or mailing list
>which has managed to accomplish real meaningful work in the face of
>chaotic and anarchic forces such as we have seen on this list.

I am on about a half dozen lists.
Either they are
- very informative and intelligent, but have low traffic and no mandate to
accomplish meaningful work;

-completely private, informative and intelligent, have medium to high
traffic and have no chaotic or anarchic forces' or

-open to the public and draw a mix of informed participants and timebusters.

I believe that most sites with large membership draw their share of
noisemakers and disruptors.  You cam avoid that by setting up gateways:
limited membership,  moderated overview and individual filters.  I have
engaged in all three of these approaches on for various lists.  The most
effective is the list with limited membership, but that is antithetical to
the structure of the GA.  So what are you gonna do?  My preference is to
let the individual user choose their own threshhold of noise, not to give
that choice to an SAA. My preference is to bifurcate unacceptable conduct
from unacceptable content.  Those whose messages rarely contribute to the
discussion, whose references are to others are scatalogical or insulting,
will find they are shunned from the discussion, becasue the wiser among us
will filter and ignore them and stick to meaningful discussions.

Ellen Rony                         ____             The Domain Name Handbook
Co-author		       ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
+1  415.435.5010    	       (oo) -^--
erony@marin.k12.ca.us
                                   W   W
	   DOT COM is the Pig Latin of the Information Age
    1999 Cyberserk Awards: http://www.domainhandbook.com/awards99.html