From: Karl Auerbach [mailto:karl@CaveBear.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 6:17 PM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Message too long (>40000 chars)

> So we are not chosing between "moderation" and "no moderation".  We are
> instead chosing between "conscious visible accountable moderation by
> good guys" vs "stochastic malicious moderation by bad guys".  As things
> currently stand, the "bad guys" are filtering "good guys" off the list.

Nonesense.  You are asserting that your sargeants can muzzle those who say
things you don't like to hear.

You have the power to cover your own ears.

> This is acceptable to you, Karl, and others, but it is not acceptable
> for ICANN.  It contradicts the very openness of which you are so fond.

You sounds like Kafka - white is black, up is down, censorship is free
speech.   Next you will be saying "We had to kill the mail list in order
to save it."

By-the-way, I object to your technique of asserting that you know what is
and what is not acceptable to me.

> It discriminates in favor of those who have been on the net for a long
> time, who are familiar with email filters and other things.  It
> discriminates in favor of those who have a high tolerance for verbal
> abuse.  It discriminates in favor of those who don't care what they do or
> say.   It discriminates in favor of those who speak thoughtlessly.

If anyone out there needs help setting up their e-mail filters, they are
free to ask for help, and I'm sure it will be provided.

As for tolerance of abuse, I have a low tolerance for those people who
insist on silencing others because it musses up their Martha Stewart
lives.

ICANN can not afford to further distance itself from those who are
affected by the Internet.

> Our resident kooks and thugs

If you have a list of these, then you are free to establish your own
filters.  Do us the courtesy of letting the rest of us chose who we
believe are, or who are not, "kooks and thugs".

		--karl--