From: John B. Reynolds [mailto:john@reynolds.chicago.il.us]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 9:15 AM
To: Joop Teernstra; Karl Auerbach; ga@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [ga] private filters are private blinkers

If "private filters are private blinkers", then it is equally true that
public filters are public blinkers.

Without commenting on the substance of your particular dispute, lies posted
by someone who is widely privately filtered are undetected only by those who
have already determined for themselves that that individual's comments are
unworthy of consideration.  The same lies posted by someone who is centrally
filtered would be unseen and unrefutable by anyone who subscribes to the
"official" list, regardless of whether or not they have reached an opinion
regarding the poster's credibility.