Re: [ga] Message from the Chair

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> There were two assumptions that I saw as invalid:
>
> - That the GA is identical with the membership of the ga discussion list
> - That the GA is not a decision making body
>
> There needs to be a decision sooner or later about how the GA makes
> decisions, but this decision has, IMHO, not been made, and the list rules
> should not prejudge that - either one way or the other.

Thanks for this clarification.  I shared Ellen's confusion before reading it.
Jumping to the next issue you mention, however, I do agree with those who
suggest that the list be the assembly.  I think this is where the discussion
and voting should occur.  Holding our meetings in physical space results in too
significant a disenfranchisement of those not funded for perpetual world
travel.  I hope the list rules are a step toward implementing on-line meetings.