Re: [ga] Message from the Chair

At 23:35 24.01.00 -0800, Ellen Rony wrote:
>Roberto,
>
>You say you want to take action
>" to give a voice to those who are not part of any Constituency, and that
>therefore do not have any other forum for presenting their views"
>
>But the rules you support include a pesky little rider saying that the GA
>is not a decision-making body.

Ellen,
I told you this once before:
The rules I suggested say that the GA *mailing list* is not a
decision-making body. I quote:

>The purpose of the GA list is to allow discussion between GA members on GA
>matters. It is not itself a decision-making body.
>
>Note: Neither list claims to be an authoritiative listing of the members
>of the GA, but when a mail is sent to the announce list, it is considered
>to be published to the GA membership.

There were two assumptions that I saw as invalid:

- That the GA is identical with the membership of the ga discussion list
- That the GA is not a decision making body

There needs to be a decision sooner or later about how the GA makes
decisions, but this decision has, IMHO, not been made, and the list rules
should not prejudge that - either one way or the other.

                     Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no