Re: [ga] So far, 28 poll answers logged

Roberto and all,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Brad,
>
> I completely agree with your approach of having smaller task-oriented
> lists.

  This is a good idea in many instances as long as they are well defined
and completely open for participation.

> I tried already to express the fact that I am uncomfortable with one
> single all-inclusive list, good for discussion on any topic as well as
> for voting.

  Yes you did.  And it your post on that didn't seem to be sufficient
enough to justify the ends completely.

> As far as hosting the lists somewhere else, I have personally no problem
>  in following this model, pretty much IETF-like, should the DNSO
> resources be insufficient to manage the load.

  Personal problems with this are not really relevant as you seem to suggest

here Roberto.

> This, of course, would have the advantage of the "distribution", but the
>  drawback of the lack of uniqueness of the source of information, namely
>  the archives at DNSO.org.

  This can be addressed in several ways.  One possibility would be to
regionalize the DNSO by third level domain names for the DNSO itself.
for instance eastern-region.dnso.org, western-region.dnso.org, ect,ect...
Or, DNSO-West.org DNSO.east.org, ect, ect...

> I also have the impression that there is much sensitivity about the
> "official record" problem.

  Well in that yourself, Ken Stubbs and others of a particular bent seem to
have a propensity to want to rewrite history to suit their own purposes,
this sensitivity is of course understandable.

> [...]
> the
> >topics. It's really comical actually. Here we stand. All in one room,
> >talking at the same time about different things.
> >
> >Might I respectfully suggest of our Chair that he consider breaking us
> out
> >into committees by task or topic. Mr. Gaetano is the one person who can
>
> >bring that order. Our lists don't have to be hosted by DSNO.org Several
>  of
> >us here would be more than happy to provide the facilities merely by
> being
> >asked.
> >
> >Committees bring focus to a central point. Remember in the eighties
> when
> >we started thinking in terms of distributed computing? many of us in
> that
> >ivory tower called the "Machine Room" wanted no part of it. PCs forced
> >distrubuted environment, but the big fear was disruption and mass
> >confusion.
> >
> >Most people didn't figure that the PC would just reinforce the notion
> of
> >centralization of databases and files.
> >
> >In other words, How could someone possibly (no sarcasm please) disrupt
> 20
> >mailing lists, with the point people of those lists coordination on a
> >central committee (probably it's own list apart from this one) where
> the
> >work hashed out would come to fruition.
> >
> >Not only is ICANN banking on the assumption that we won't or can't do
> >that, but that is also the very model they have adopted to accomplish
> >their tasks - and it has only strengthened them.
> >
> >Or, we could just keep shouting out our ideas right here in any order
> that
> >suits us.

> Steering
>  the
> Thornton" before
>  the
> archives.

> structure from
> already
> >>
> >> The lesson to be learned here, I think, Joop, is that mailing lists
> >> are not, after all, a useful way of accomplishing good things. There
> >> will always be vengeful, unhappy people like Walsh and agents
> >> provocateurs like Crispin and Crocker to disrupt them.
> >>
> >> Three or four people of like mind who trust each other can
> >> accomplish more, by telephone, than this rag-tag of little Caesars
> >> and neurotic sociopaths. That is what the ICANN Board realizes, and
> >> why they have so far beaten us.

> >> Michael Sondow           I.C.I.I.U.     http://www.iciiu.org
> >> Tel. (718)846-7482                        Fax: (603)754-8927
> >>

> >--Bradley D. Thornton MCSE; MCT.--  , bootstrap  of
> >the Cyberspace Association,
> >the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894