Re: [ga] just what work is the GA supposed to be doing?

Harald and all,

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 12:35 17.01.00 -0500, Javier Rodriguez wrote:
>
> >Many times, I am saying that ICANN is a new world order, is the born of the
> >new era, is the begining of the new world wide goverment... the ones that want
> >to hear can hear ;-)
>
> <<<not really relevant to the subject matter at hand>>>
>
> in my humble opinion, tryhing to make ICANN into the beginning of a new
> world wide government will seriously interfere with its ability to
> competently manage the address space and name space of the Internet.

  Agreed in part.  With the current ICANN Board outnumbering it's
own staff, it is hard to imagine that it performing either function.  With
a Board that has shown it's incompetence already on technical policy
matters it is also hard to imagine it managing much of anything in any
"Stable" manner.

> The lessons we learn from trying to "govern" ICANN may be useful in
> building other entities of larger scope - but trying to make a world
> government from ICANN is likely to leave us without a world government
> *and* without a functioning ICANN.

  ICANN should be a policy making body dedicated to issues dealing with
the technical issues of the central or basic areas of the internet. Those
are DNS, IP addresses, and protocol's.  Nothing more.  Making a
"Social Experiment" out of ICANN and it's now divisive Supporting
Organizations is and exercise in futility.

>                              Harald
>
> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894