Re: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules

At 19:23 18/01/00 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:

>> Keep your finger on the delete button and voila, you have the moderated
>> list you want.
>
>No, I don't.  I still see a list distracted by a large volume of noise.
>Moreover, there is a subtle but very real problem with individual
>filtering:  every person gets a different view of what happens.  If, on
>the other hand, you have a list with rules such that pretty much
>everyone who belongs can afford to run without filters, then everyone
>is getting a much more consistent view of the effective proceedings.

Kent does have a point here. Liberal use of the delete key is sometimes
evidenced by serious errors of judgement by participants who treat a list
this way.
The only thing that works without bias is awareness of what the obsessive
posters do, but fastidious refusing to be baited or goaded.
This in turn can lead to an unwarranted (self)censorship.

<snip>

>I understand why you and others who are antagonistic to ICANN would want
>the noise, the foul language, and so on prominently displayed -- it fits
>well with your interest in demonstrating that ICANN can't work, and with
>your desire to show ICANN in as bad a light as possible.

No, this is not fair.  It has been equally argued that the noise, etc. is
evidence that the GA as an on-line democracy cannot work and that therefore
ICANN needs to fall back on meatspace and/or  a censored environment.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org  (or direct:)
http://www.democracy.org.nz/idno/