Re: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules

I thought that membership in the GA was defined as this list as well as
several others, including the Working Groups? At least that's what I
recall from the election.

Does the definition of "GA" change depending upon whether the NC wants
ghosts to nominate candidates?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Ellen Rony wrote:

> On 1/18/00, William X. Walsh wrote:
>
> >This doesn't affect their membership, they are free to resubscribe when their
> >email is working again.  This is standard list behavior to temporarily remove
> >addresses when their email is bouncing, because the each bounce results in
> >messages to the list administrator.
>
> Yes, I understand the purpose of this but the problem is that the GA is
> defined by the Names Council as membership on this list, so individual
> membership would be effectively terminated whenver there is a technical
> problem at the ISP or routing end and would require an affirmative action
> on the part of the listmember to rejoin the GA by resubscribing.
>
> Isn't there a technical way that a subscriber can be placed on temporary
> (say one week hold) while routing problems are resolved, without requiring
> the individual to resubscribe and without bogging the list down with
> bounced messages?  If that is possible, I think its a preferable mechanism
> for handling this type of problem.  If not, then the Names Council has to
> rethink its definition of the GA, because said membership would just
> disappear if a major routing problem or outage occurred.

> Ellen Rony                         ____             The Domain Name Handbook
> Co-author		       ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
> +1  415.435.5010    	       (oo) -^--
> erony@marin.k12.ca.us
>                                    W   W
> 	   DOT COM is the Pig Latin of the Information Age
>     1999 Cyberserk Awards: http://www.domainhandbook.com/awards99.html

--Bradley D. Thornton MCSE; MCT.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org  (or direct:)
http://www.tallship.net/idno