[ga] .EDU Registration Policy?

Can someone refresh me re NSI's registration policy for .EDUs?  I searched
their web site -- manually and via search engine -- and came up
empty-handed.

RFC1591 -- <ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1591.txt> -- is surprisingly
obscure, saying only "a decision has been taken to limit further
registrations to 4 year colleges and universities."  I was under the
impression that registration was further limited to American institutions
(though with grandfathering of existing registrations).  Is that correct?

Thanks!

Ben Edelman