Re: Re: Re: [ga] Proposal for mailing list policy

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> This has already been clarified, so I don't need to go over it, except
> to tell you that I bet that the technique of trying to paralyze the
> Canadian Government with a flood of faxes will be applied here, it's
> just a matter of time and to find a good excuse.
> So, we can try the iper-liberal approach, but I am aware that, in case
> of a similar emergency, we must take a similar decision.
> The iper-freedom for a few cannot be the denial of service to the
> majority.
>
> Anybody else willing to comment?

Real-time archives should be available on a real or near-realtime basis,
and should never, in any way shape or form be edited for content. With
that said, in regards to denial-of-service type attacks, list policies
should include provisions to disable access to anyone attempting to launch
or in the process of launching such attacks. More importantly, IANAL
however D.O.S. attacks would seem to be criminal in nature and should be
treated as such. Most providers don't take to kindly to having their
resources used for such activities...