Re: [ga] Proposal for mailing list policy

William, John and all,

William X. Walsh wrote:

> On 15-Jan-2000 John B. Reynolds wrote:
> >

> > William X. Walsh wrote:

- snip -

> > Just because you choose to call it "filtering" doesn't change what it is.
>
> Just because you choose to call it Censorship doesn't change that it isn't,
> John.

  And likewise just because you say that it isn't CENSORSHIP, william
doesn't meant that it isn't either.  An argument in a circle william.  That is
by logical standards, constitutes an invalid argument...

> >> this debate is
> >> disruption
> >> attack) do not have
> >>
> >> But indeed they do.  And in FACT we have seen it be the case on
> >> this very list.
> >>

> > False.  All that has been asserted is that certain individuals and groups
> > choose not to participate in the list due to the presence of those who you
> > would "filter".  Nobody has prevented them from contributing - their
> > nonparticipation is a consequence of their own decisions.
>
> The same could be said for public meetings, then.  Sorry, John, it doesn't fly.
> The list needs a set of rules for civil behavior, and consequences for not
> having the courtesy of acting civil to your other list participants, which
> includes those silent participants and newcomers.

  To a point you are correct.  But who, how and what is considered "Civil"
in this context and on this sort of list is not well, if at all, defined.

> Just like in a real physical meeting.

  No a mailing list cannot be conducted or effected like a real physical meeting,
but it can approach one.  There are indeed distinct differences.  One would be,
as John, Karl, Dan, Joe Baptista, myself, and others have pointed out, is that
each individual may filter out what they choose independently.  This does not
mean that the list as a whole can legally filter out individuals from participating

interactively.  This I believe, is the central difference and issue.

> - --
> William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
> DSo Networks  http://dso.net/
> Fax: 877-860-5412 or +1-559-851-9192