RE: [ga] Proposal for mailing list policy

On 15-Jan-2000 John B. Reynolds wrote:

> William X. Walsh wrote:
>>
>> On 14-Jan-2000 John B. Reynolds wrote:
>> > After giving the matter some thought, I have to agree with
>> Karl's position.
>> > We may believe that censorship will only be used against kooks, but in
>>
>> It isn't censorship.
>
> Just because you choose to call it "filtering" doesn't change what it is.

Just because you choose to call it Censorship doesn't change that it isn't,
John.

>> > The analogy to public meetings that has been used by some in
>> this debate is
>> > flawed.  Public meetings are time and space dependent.  In such a forum,
>> > those who attempt to monopolize discussion or otherwise create
>> disruption
>> > are stealing time that could have been used by others who wish to
>> > participate.  Mailing list messages (except in the rare case where their
>> > volume is great enough to constitute a denial of service
>> attack) do not have
>> > the same effect.  The messages from the subscribers in question, as
>>
>> But indeed they do.  And in FACT we have seen it be the case on
>> this very list.
>>

> False.  All that has been asserted is that certain individuals and groups
> choose not to participate in the list due to the presence of those who you
> would "filter".  Nobody has prevented them from contributing - their
> nonparticipation is a consequence of their own decisions.

The same could be said for public meetings, then.  Sorry, John, it doesn't fly.
The list needs a set of rules for civil behavior, and consequences for not
having the courtesy of acting civil to your other list participants, which
includes those silent participants and newcomers.

Just like in a real physical meeting.

- --
William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
DSo Networks  http://dso.net/