Re: [ga] Proposal for mailing list policy

Karl and all,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> > I also disagree completely with every criticism that Karl Auerbach came
> > up with.  His objections are completely without support and his method
> > of running a list would result in complete chaos.  If he wants that kind
> > of list, he can just subscribe to (and archive) the ga-unfiltered list.
>
> Our disagreement is about which list is the "official" one.

  Agreed.  I believe that this points up the central problem with having
two lists.  Not only is it not necessary but silly as well.

> The all encompassing one, the one without filters, the one with
> submissions from all parties, ought to be the full record.

  Agreed.

> Those who wish to create private universes and cover their sensitive ears
> and eyes can do so and receive the partial feed of information.  But
> that's their own private matter.
>
> Censorship is censorship.  The GA can't claim to be open while censoring
> comment.  Well, it can claim to be open, but it would be an overt
> falsehood.

  And as a falsehood, makes any comment there circumspect at best.

> The power to limit what you read is in your own hands, use the tools that
> procmail, Eudora, or your favorite tool has provided you.  Don't impose
> your choices on the rest of us and attempt to call it "open" and
> "official" when it is really "closed" and "selective".

  Good point.

>                 --karl--

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com