Re: [ga] Re: Robert's rules

> As a point of information, Robert's Rules has been removed from
> the ICANN Bylaws.  Compare:
> http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-27sep99.htm
> with
> http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-29oct99.htm

And you might note that that change was made without any pubic discussion,
indeed without even a single visible attempt by the board to try using
formalized rules.

The fact that the ICANN bylaws were changed is hardly a compelling
argument, especially when countered by the fact that the vast majority of
well run corporate and institutional entities, including multi-lingual
multinationals, operate using some degree of formalized procedure.

As it stands, we have chaos at all levels of ICANN.  We have had some
awful NC meetings in which formalized rules were thought to be followed,
but those amateur attempts at applying the rules reflect no more on the
potential value of a well run use of the rules than does the application
of makup by a five year old child reflect on the potential results of
thsoe same materials applied by a skilled adult.

Roberts rules are a valuable tool, but like most tools one ought to know
how to learn how to use them.

		--karl--