Re: [ga] nTLD going gTLD

Hi Andy:

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Andy Gardner wrote:

> >Then ccTLDs should be in service of the Country and people of such country
> >to which it belongs.  And it is the responsibility of the country to
> >watch that so it be. ccTLDs should not be in service of activities
> >pertanining to gTLDs.
>
> Why not? Is it wrong that countries can gain vital overseas income by
> selling domains within their ccTLD?
Yes, but such countries have their ccTLDs technical and
administrative offices inside the boundaries of their
countries (as in Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, and
other countries in America). But there is some cases (Pakistan, Moldova,
and others) where ccTLDs are managed by foreing people outside the
boundaries of such country and the worst thing is that many of such
domains are more recognized by describing another activity different
than identifying countries. And the primary reason of the creation of the
ccTLDs was in fact, identify countries!

> Surely it's a better thing to do than sell off their limited natural
> resources?
I wouldn't like to see .pa serving as an identifyer of
anyother thing, and that with the time, the meaning of .pa in Internet be
lost.  I think you know there is some bussinesses that are trying to buy
some ccTLDs administrtaion to use it as identyfier of US States, or other
activities that are more relevant to gTLDs.  Of course, if someone in
Pensilvania wants to register a domain in Panamanian ccTLD, he is welcone
to spend the money in Panama.

One thing is that a country makes bussiness and income with their ccTLD.
Other thing is that a country (or someone who IANA delegated the ccTLD)
sells their ccTLD (a country resource of income, as you say) to someone
that even will administrate it outside the country, and then promote it as
.AM (Amplitud Modulated instead of Armenia), for example.

But after all, this discussion doesn't goes anywhere unless the ones that
delegated the ccTLDs be pronounced about this subject (IANA?,
USGovernment?, ICANN?, else?) and for sure the ones that had the power to
give are the ones that have the power to redelegate....or not?

By the way...if ccTLDs wants to be used as gTLDs, then why create new
gTLDs?

Regards
Vany
:-)