Re: [ga] nTLD going gTLD

On 04-Jan-2000 Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
> On the one hand RFC 1591 states:
>    2) Country Codes
>
>       The IANA is not in the business of deciding what is and what is
>       not a country.
>       The selection of the ISO 3166 list as a basis for country code
>       top-level domain names was made with the knowledge that ISO has a
>       procedure for determining which entities should be and should not
>       be on that list.
>
> On the other hand we read "How to get a country name into ISO 3166-1"
>     http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/get_name.html:
>
>     III. A request for the inclusion of a country name (or the name of
>          a dependent area) in ISO 3166-1 must originate from the national
>          government of the country or from the national standards body
>          of that country. The ISO 3166/MA rejects any request which is
>          not accompanied by a written statement from the national goverment
>          explicitly agreeing to and supporting the request.
>
> The problem arises when the ISO3166 code, which request originates from
> the national government (and as such is a national patrimony), is not
> "in service of the Country and people of such country to which it belongs".
>
> Elisabeth Porteneuve

There is no conflict there.  The ISO3166 list is not maintained as a ccTLD code
list.  That the list was used by IANA to create the ccTLD process does not, by
fiat, grant the governments involved jurisdiction, and indeed it does not
confer any restrictions on the use of those codes.

In other words, the two are totally seperate.  One uses the results of the
other to generate it's code, but by no means does this simple act place the
results under the jurisdiction of the government involved, nor does it
automatically grant the restrictions implied by some.

--
William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
DSo Networks  http://dso.net/