Re: [ga] Virginia anti-forgery law

> http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?991+sum+SB881CH
>
> "SB 881 Computer Crimes Act; electronic mail.
> [Section 18, Code of Virginia]
> Summary as passed:
> The bill also ... (ii) makes it the crime of computer trespass to
> (a) falsify or forge e-mail message transmission information in
> connection with unsolicited bulk e-mail ...."

Good try but I doubt that messages sent via a mailing list that people
subscribe to (even forged ones) would be construed as unsolicited bulk e-mail.

On a more general note, has anyone bothered recently to count the number of
posts addressing this *evil deed* of forged headers, or the issues of
censorship, need for moderation, etc. of this list?  I fear that egos are
taking over where common sense should rule with the result that the cure is far
worse than the disease right now.

I would be willing to bet that the number of what I consider to be off-topic
posts far exceeds the ones actually relating to the business at hand. Its been
so long I frankly can`t even remember what the business at hand is.

And yes there is an implied suggestion in this post...

Dan Steinberg
Synthesis: Law & Technology
+1 613.794.5356

This message was sent using Travel-Net Web Mail.
http://www.travel-net.com/